Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I was watching a T.O.P interview and Tyler Joseph said this

"Music is a catalyst for emotions and a lot of times humans think that the most powerful emotion is love. Love is a very powerful emotion, but I question whether or not it's the most powerful. I think that the most powerful emotion to feel is fear, and even inside of loving someone there's always that fear of them not loving you back, or there's always that fear of your own head and the things that you are gonna think. So a lot of songs that are on the album are talking about how I'm dealing with fear, which is the most powerful emotion to me, and playing those songs every night, I get to relive some of those fears, but I also get to relive some of those cathartic moments of working through them."



I associate a piece of music with a feeling I get from the story it tells. Songs about love are lyrically poignant and it invokes sentimentalism in me. But it isn't a story that I know. I listen to it anyway, because the melody is nice or I enjoy the music video. But what happens when you find someone who is able to write songs that describe your inner struggles so pithily you actually use it to fight the fears that haunt you? If I can't run away from my demons I can write about them, and if I can't write about them then I can listen to someone else's composition about them. This is a story that I know, that I'm living, and if this is the way my mind is going to kill me then this will be the weapon that I will use to destruct it.

No comments:

Pages