Friday, April 25, 2014

What Boys Look For in Girls




How to bring the boys to your yard. So from similar past videos that I've watched I thought it would be the same banal suggestions, like "dress well, smile a lot, be easy breezy beautiful". (Firstly this is just general advice on how to get people to like you, it doesn't actually help in the romance department.) Because vlogbrothers are awesome I was in for a good treat. Hank gets straight to the point 16 seconds into the video that everyone holds different standards of beauty. But his point isn't revolutionary, it's something we all already know right? Yet for most of us the idea has sunk to the bottom of our subconsciousness and only resurfaces when the topic is discussed. The media makes it its mission to tell women and men what are the benchmarks for beauty and admiration and we, absorbed in its omnipresence, have been brainwashed into bearing the same standards. And then we yearn and chase after these unrealistic ideals. Worse still we measure, not just ourselves, but others against these criteria and base their value on it. All for the sole purpose of attracting the opposite sex. what fuckery is this

I can't say I've never been guilty of judging someone's appeal by the media's yardstick. But what I'm trying to say here is there comes a point where we need to let our brains be conscious of this gross misconception of beauty and its purpose and recalibrate it. Women are not going to be barbie dolls so that Ken will like us. Ken will damn well like us for who we are. If we like wearing potato sacks, so be it. If we wear a tight black dress, we do it for the feeling of liberation or expression.

Women need to stop doing things primarily to impress men. Our first thought to someone's personality and looks shouldn't ever be "They'll never get anyone". The depth of a person is so much more than that.

No comments:

Pages